Sunday, December 28, 2008

All Things Considered

One of the highlights of 2008 was having a book come out that I'd written with a good friend. Two Bobbies: A True Story of Hurricane Katrina, Friendship and Survival happened because of my good friend, Mary Nethery. The book came out in August and now we wrap up the year with a lovely piece by reporter Elizabeth Blair, of NPR, which aired today on All Things Considered. Here is the link. I sound lobotomized; thankfully, Mary conjures up the energy and care behind the story. I tend to get more air time because of my Newbery honor award but such is the nature of the media. . .Why did I get so lucky? A good and loving husband, two talented and kind children (plus a son-in-law who's in line for sainthood) and a friend and writing partner like Mary who has not only made the Bobbies a success, she keeps coming up with killer story ideas AND puts up with my lame contributions.

Trite but only because it is so true: "It is not often that someone comes along who is a true friend and a good writer." That's my Mary.

I only hope you all find a friend as true.

1 comment: