Tuesday, November 24, 2009

A thankful heart

It has been a couple of tough weeks around here on the personal front. I won't bore you with the details because everyone has "stuff." But I did decide that it might be good for me to remind myself of all that I have to be thankful for:

Tyler found his dream apartment when it was beginning to look like his options had dwindled to a cardboard box under the Manhattan Bridge.
Not the real apartment but he is moving into a brownstone!

We have a darling little furry companion who makes us laugh everyday.
Winston dropping his baby in my lap

A terrific family and wonderful friends -- like you!

My book with Mary is going into its second week on the New York Times bestseller list (and even if it wasn't, I feel so blessed to be able to write with my good buddy!)

I hit send on the final (!) copyedits for the book-that-cannot-yet-be-named, due out next fall.

And, even though it's giving me heart palpitations, I have another book yet to finish by year end.

Which means that my to-read pile is going to stay that way for awhile.


So even though personal life sometimes makes it hard for me to meet the page every day in the way I would like to, I always think of these wise words from Katherine Paterson: "The very people who take away my time and space to write are those who give me something to say."

Happy Thanksgiving!

3 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving to you too, Kirby. I hope that whatever problems have been clouding your joy these last couple of weeks will soon pass by overhead. Many, many congratulations on Nubs's bestsellerdom. Is it true what a little bird told me? That there may be a movie in the works? I could choose to be insanely jealous of all your successes, but you are such a terrifically wonderful and kind person, and so deserving of success, that I just can't bring myself to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Suzanne. All manners of good things are happening, but being as it's life, the not-so-good gets folded in, too.

    You heard right about the m word but I'll believe it when I'm invited to opening night!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kirby, happy Thanksgiving! I'm thankful for writers like you who share so much with the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete