Saturday, August 7, 2010

Summer Cooking

The "triplets" L-R: Auntie Lou, Mom Donna, Auntie Alix

It's been awhile since I've shared recipes and I have TWO for you today. The first is from my very sweet Auntie Lou, who is one of the best cooks I know. She just celebrated her 80th birthday but you'd never know it. The only thing about her that seems even close to 80 is her bum shoulder.

The second is from Full Circle Farm and Bluebird Emmer Farro. I had farro once, in Portland, and thought it was so yummy but couldn't find it up here in my grocery store. Then Full Circle Farm (the great folks who deliver a yummy box of organic fruits and veggies to my front porch every Thursday) offered some. I snatched it right up and have made this delicious salad several times this summer. Enjoy!

Farro Caprese Salad

Cook 1 cup Farro in 5 cups boiling water for five minutes; simmer for about an hour, or until berries are plump and tender. Drain.

While still warm, stir in 1 T balsamic vinegar and 2 T olive oil.
Add:
1/4 cup chopped onion or shallots (it's better with shallots)
2-3 tomatoes, chopped
4 oz. chopped mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil

Season with sea salt and fresh ground pepper and try not to eat it all before your company arrives.



Auntie Lou's Fruit Cobbler

Preheat oven to 375.

Mix 4 cups fruit with 1/2-1 cup sugar, depending on fruit (I always use the lesser amount)
Pour into greased 8X8 glass baking pan

Combine:

1-1/2 cup flour
1/4 c sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
pinch salt

Use a pastry blender to add: 1/4 cup butter or shortening (use butter if you can!)

Combine and stir in:
3/4 cup milk
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla

Spoon batter over fruit and bake for about 45 minutes. Some people insist on serving this with ice cream but I say why ruin a good thing?

This doubles easily; just bake in a 9X13 pan.

1 comment:

  1. Recipes are mystifying to me. I'd never heard of farro before, and I'm still looking for persimmons (apparently, they are not located next to the crispitos and boneless wingdings).

    ReplyDelete