Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Give a person a fish. . .

Santa gave me a copy of The Zen of Watching Birds in my stocking. I tried to savor one page a day. . .but couldn't. I read through the whole thing as I ate my peanut butter toast at lunch. It's definitely the kind of little book I'll read again and again but these words from naturalist John Burroughs seemed especially apropos for writers:

"Some ladies, beginning the study of birds, once wrote to me, asking if I would not please come and help them, and set them right about certain birds in dispute. I replied that that would be getting their knowledge too easily; that what I and any one else told them they would be very apt to forget, but that the things they found out themselves they would always remember."

1 comment:

  1. ...and teachers, too! I love this and try to take it to heart.
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete