Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Food for thought

A year-end tradition for me is to clean my office, which led me to a file of notes I'd taken when Avi came to speak in Seattle eons ago. One thing jumped off the page at me:

"Sometimes you don't need to revise the manuscript, you need to revise your life."

I'm not sure exactly what that means but right now -- as I wrestle with a revision -- I'm taking it to mean that a change in myself might be a necessary first step. A change that requires me to open my heart and mind to other possibilities for my main character. A change that forces me to look at the story as a living thing, that still needs water and sunlight, rather than something done growing, and all I need to do is pick off the dead leaves.

Anyway, these words of Avi's spoke to me today and I thought they might speak to you, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment