Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Holey Moley

I know I've sent you to Author's Magazine before but go again! A recent Author's Minute featured a snippet of an interview with David Hewson and I was challenged/intrigued by what he had to say:

"The strength of fiction is that it has holes, gaps. If you look at books you really like, they don't have a sense of completion because that's inviting you as the reader to come to your own solution."

I read this and thought of Lois Lowry's The Giver,

and Karen Cushman's Catherine, Called Birdy,

and an old favorite of mine, Rodman Philbrick's Freak the Mighty,

all of which leave us wondering, leave us coming to our own conclusions about what happened after we turned the last page.

So I'm going to write like I knit and leave a lot of holes! How about you?

1 comment:

  1. Nice quote. I agree with you about the holes. In The Giver, I was left with a sense of mystery and a lot of questions. I thought Freak the Mighty was brilliant in concept and storytelling, and I also was left with this curious puzzling about two being greater than one...

    ReplyDelete