Saturday, August 22, 2009

Writers Working Wonders


You know how great children's writers and illustrators are -- but did you know many of them are working to change the world in ways other than through their writing/illustrating?

Please share other worthy causes but here are some I'm aware of:


And of course, Children's Book Ambassador Jon Scieszka has his Guys Read foundation, and our own ReaderGirlz (founding divas include Dia Calhoun, Janet Carey, Lorie Ann Grover and Justina Chen Headley) promote teen activism for positive changes. And, I'm particularly proud of my publisher, Delacorte, for really getting behind First Book.

Wow, what a great community we're part of!

3 comments:

  1. For awhile, I was keeping at list at my blog of writers/kidlit bloggers and the book/literacy/youth-related causes they support: http://saralewisholmes.blogspot.com/2007/07/very-big-good-deed-list.html
    Now I realize my Very Big Good Deed List could use an update! So many generous-hearted folks doing amazing things. I second the love of our great community.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Kirby, this is a wonderful post. Thanks so much for highlighting the work that we do. All went well in Tanzania -- we're working with a great group of passionate, dedicated people who want to help the orphans receive an education. I feel honored to be a part of such a great work. Thanks!

    Michele Torrey

    ReplyDelete