Monday, December 28, 2009

Good Luck Food



According to the above cookbook, Writers in the Kitchen, it is good luck to eat Black-Eyed Peas on New Year's Day. At least, that's what Betsy Byars says! And I, for one, would follow whatever advice she gives. So I'm sharing this recipe today so you have plenty of time before New Year's Day to get to the grocery store, and to whip this up.

Black-Eyed Pea Salad

2 cans black-eyed peas (water packed)
1/2 cup rice vinegar
2 teaspoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 cup sliced green onions
2 cups chopped tomatoes

Drain peas and rinse. Combine vinegar, sugar and mustard. Stir until dissolved.
Pour over peas and onions. Refrigerate for a couple of hours. Before serving, add tomatoes and stir lightly.

Serves 6-8.

(I use canned diced tomatoes and stir them in with the peas and onions; easier and just as tasty.)

Wishing you all much luck -- and BIC time -- in the New Year!

2 comments:

  1. That's cause Betsy's from the South. They eat black-eyed peas and collard greens on New Years. I think it's supposed to represent money - dollars and cents? Or wealth? Or something like that. My family always had them, but, eeeyew, I hate collard greens (my parents put vinegar on them. barf)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Barbara -- there's something I like and you don't! My grandpa always grew swiss chard and my grandma cooked it and then poured vinegar on it and I loved it. I even drank up the left over vinegar (I was a weird little child)>

    ReplyDelete