Sunday, January 16, 2011

Research Tips

While with the ubersmart students of the NILA MFA program recently, I learned about several research sites and aids and wanted to share them with you:

  • For costumes and fashion: the Fashion Institute and, of course, old issues of the Sears and Roebuck catalog (check your local library)
  • For photos: Life magazine on-line archives
  • In-library research: American Decades: Primary Sources (Gale Cengage)

What's your favorite research tool/site/tip?

2 comments:

  1. I've only recently needed to start digging into the past, but so far my favorite way to get into the mindset and details of the period is through the everyday items I find at the second hand and antique stores--school workbooks, scrapbooks, magazines, music sheets, books, advertisements, tools, fixtures, pretty much everything local and national. Today I found the memoirs of someone who settled Oysterville with his family in the late nineteenth century, which is just what I needed to start "hearing" people of that time period. I wouldn't have found this online.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you, Grier. "Hearing" people tell their stories is a resource that can't be beat! What a treasure you found!

    ReplyDelete