Saturday, January 15, 2011

Yum!

What do you do with a big bowl of cubed bread after serving fondue?

Make Bread Soup!

This is an absolutely delicious version, from Everybody Likes Sandwiches. Though I like food with zing, next time, I think I'd only use 1/2 tsp. hot chili flakes.

Bread Soup

1 T olive oil
1/2 onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 stalk celery, diced
1 tsp hot chili flakes
1 tsp dried oregano
4 cups vegetable stock (I used the chicken I had on hand)
1/2 small loaf of stale bread, cubed
1 small can diced tomatoes
1 bunch spinach (mine was fresh from Full Circle Farms -- yum!)
2 T grated Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste

Saute the onion, garlic and celery in the oil over medium high heat. When softened, add in the chili flakes, oregano and some salt and pepper. Add in vegetable stock and tomatoes and simmer over medium heat for a couple of minutes. (I simmered for about 15 mins.) Add in bread and spinach, stir and cover pot. When bread is soft and spongy and the spinach is wilted, throw in some cheese. Add more salt and pepper -- and cheese! -- to taste.
So good, I had seconds!

2 comments:

  1. Well, that looks delicious- I don't remember bread soup having spinach in it, so I'm off to the store to buy your ingredients. Not often I get to make soup in Florida. But this has been a cold week here and I'm ready for some warmth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe. I'll have to try that. My husband and I are both vegetarians, and we both love soup. (Glad to see the chicken was optional.)

    ReplyDelete