Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Hermit Food

I have been holed up at Shangri-Lar, writing away (making my 2000 word goal nearly every day). I have learned that I need my hermit time. But I wouldn't mind if I had "people" who came in every now and then. To clean. To cook. To refill the hummingbird and finch feeders.

Though I'm a pretty picky eater, out here I will eat the same thing three days in a row. Because if you're cooking for one, whatever you make seems to last three days. Last night, I finally ate up the left-overs so made this yummy and satisfying salad. The vinaigrette is from Cooking Light; the lettuce is from my neighbor, Pat. 

Tasty Dinner for One (with leftovers)*

Play Peter Rabbit and gather some lovely lettuces from your neighbor.

Saute 1/2 skinless, boneless chicken breast in 1 T olive oil with a very small zucchini, chopped, yellow pepper, chopped and mushrooms. Sprinkle with black pepper and the juice of 1/2 small lime.

Spoon onto lovely lettuces, top with halved cherry tomatoes and 1/4 an avocado, chopped. Drizzle with basil vinaigrette (below).

Very important: sop up leftover dressing/juices with two perfect slices of a baby baguette from Avenue Bakery in Bellingham. If you aren't near Bellingham, substitute a really good french bread.

Dressing:
1/2 cup basil leaves
1/3 cup balsamic or sherry vinegar (use balsamic!)
1/3 cup finely chopped shallots (I used vidalia onion)
1/4 cup water
2 T honey (I used blue agave sweetener)
1 T olive oil
1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper

Whirr in blender until smooth. Unbelievably tasty!

*there would've been a photo had I not been so hungry

No comments:

Post a Comment